Well, even though this is the only gingerbread cookie recipe I've tried, but I did extensive research to find the best recipe. It turned out pretty good actually.
The recipe below serves about 18 to 20 cookies
Ingredients:
For cookies:
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 stick salted butter - 1/2 cup
2 large eggs
1/4 cup molasses
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
For icing: (I didn't make this one)
1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
red and green food colouring as desired
assorted sprinkles as desired
Directions:
Using a mixer on low speed, cream the brown sugar and butter in a large bowl until thoroughly combined
Mix in the eggs and mollasses
Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in another bowl (I know it's tempting to just put all the ingredients in 1 bowl, but it's really hard to mix - so.. make it in 1 bowl!)
Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix with a spoon
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge until firm, about 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 350
Let the dough sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes, until pliable (I didn't wait.. just do it!)
Line 1 or more cookie sheets with parchment paper
Take about 1/2 cup dough at a time and roll on a floured surface until 1/4 inch thick (The cookies will be too hard if it's too thick)
Cut out shapes and re-roll the scraps
Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to the prepared cookie sheets, leaving space between them.
Refrigerate the cookies for 20 minutes (didn't do this)
Bake until they just being to brown at the edges, 18 - 20 minutes (start watching the cookies after 15 minutes)
Cool slightly, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Icing: (I haven't tested this one yet)
Combine the confectioners' sugar and milk in a bowl
Leave white or divide among bowls and add food colouring
Decorate cookies with icing
Use a pastry bag to pipe eyes, mouths, buttons and bow ties
Top with sprinkles
No comments:
Post a Comment