Saturday, July 02, 2011

Washington DC

I love DC!  I might want to move there... :)
I really recommend to visit DC if you are looking for destinations for a weekend trip.

Highlights:
- Freer Gallery: Asian art - lots of wonderful Japanese silk screen
- Lincoln Memorial - must see it at night!  It's been featured in movies a lot, but it's not the same until you actually see it in person
- Jefferson Memorial - Greek temple like; It's perfect to then walk around the Tidal Basin after
- Capitol Building - what a beautiful building!
- Library of Congress - soooo many books! The library nerd in me was sooo happy!
- Union Station - It's 3x bigger than the Union Station in Toronto
- Zoo - if you have time, you should see! But it is really out of the way :)
- Air and Space Museum: amazing! Anything that you want to know about airplanes and space is here!  I got myself a book on Hubble telescope :)
- Art Gallery - soooo many works of art that we spent almost all day here
- Natural History Museum: sooo many things to see here: gems & minerals ( I love sparkly things), written in Bones (mysterious deaths - almost like a Bones episode), dinosaurs, and insects

Dining:
- Pizzeria Paradiso - oak wood pizza; so delicious!
- Oyamel - tapas style Mexican food; Tried some Ceviche as my prep to go to Peru.  This place is really happening so you should try to get reservations - otherwise you get to eat out in the patio :)
- National Museum of the American Indian - really great cafetaria!  Amazing food from all over America including bison burger
- Julia's Empanadas - Soooo good!!! Passed by this place so many times and it was closed! Finally got a chance to buy some and ate them in a park
- Shake Shack - it's a real happening place.  The line up was long, but I think I've had better burgers :)

No comments: